8 Huge Health Benefits to Eating More Garlic!
With the help of popular vampire books and movies, the first thing you might think of when you think of garlic is that it keeps vampires away. However, there are many health benefits to eating garlic. I am a big fan of garlic and my goal is to share with you some of those health benefts with the hopes that you might add more garlic to your meals.
First of all, garlic is over 5,000 years old and has been used for medicinal purposes throughout history. One of the active ingredients in garlic is called allicin, a sulfur compound. Allicin is very powerful for the body and is similar to an antibiotic. Garlic also contains germanium, which is a known anti-cancer agent. While those are two big reasons why garlic is good for you, here are some other health benefits to eating more garlic:
- Helps regulate blood pressure
- Strengthens your immune system
- Lowers cholesterol
- Great antioxidant – protecting the blood from free radicals
- Natural antibiotic to fight against bacteria, viruses, and fungus
- Good source of vitamin C, B6, selenium and maganese (all immune boosting to you)
- Anti-inflammatory benefits
- Great cancer fighting food
I have a couple of favorite ways to eat garlic, but a simple and easy recipe is to saute chopped garlic and chopped onion in olive oil until soft and add a big bunch of fresh spinach and sea salt. It is delicious!! Here is another great recipe for roasted garlic (also super easy). Roasted Garlic Recipe!