My friend, Fran, made this soup for a Juice Plus vitamins lecture I went to and I knew I had to have the recipe and share it with all of you. On a side note, Juice Plus are vitamins that my kids and I take – I highly recommend them. Here is my friend Fran’s link in case you want to check out the Juice Plus vitamins. Juice Plus link.
In the mean time, THANK YOU Fran for this awesome recipe!
Caribbean Black Bean Soup – it is easy to make!
- 2 15 oz. cans black beans
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 med. red onions, chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 T. minced, peeled fresh ginger (I also used ginger powder and it worked too)
- 2 garlic cubes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes (2 medium), peeled and cut into bite size
- 1 T. dark brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tsps. salt
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
In a 6-qt. saucepot, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, allspice, and thyme. Cook, stirring 3 minutes. Add rinsed beans and vegetable broth; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, brown sugar, and salt; cover and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes longer. Add green onions and cilantro. Makes about 6 main dish servings.