Many airports are getting on board with having healthier snack options available for travelers; however those healthy snacks can be difficult to locate, as they are not often displayed in a place easy to find. Often times, you have to search around the magazine shop as you are rushing to your connecting flight in hopes of finding trail mix, granola or a healthy bar.
Flying and airline travel is not the only challenge that is presented to you, driving to your vacation destination can be just as frustrating in regards to healthy eating. While on the road, you will pass every fast food restaurant around and finding something relatively healthy to eat when filling up for gas is often difficult. So what is a traveler to do?
How can you travel to your vacation destination and still give your body a fighting chance to feel great by the time you get there? It is all about preparation and choice.
It is common practice to plan out and pack the clothes you will need; so why not add healthy snacks to eat as well.
What types of snacks could you bring?
- Get your greens in with “Green Super Food” by Amazing Grass. It is a powder that you can put right into your water bottle and it is full of nutritious whole greens and it taste great. The berry flavor is one of my favorites. You can purchase individual packets or keep a baggie or container of the powder in your bag.
- Apples are great for traveling as well because they don’t bruise easily.
- Nuts and dried fruit. If you purchase this prior to traveling you will save yourself some money as the prices as airports are at a premium.
- Healthy bars. There are lots of different types of nutrition bars out there. Have your favorite on hand and have a few of them in case of any delays while traveling.
- Pack a small cooler or lunch bag that keeps things cool and bring hummus and veggies.
Make the best possible choice available.
- Most fast food restaurants have healthy options available, but it is up to you to choose the healthier option. You can get oatmeal, yogurt, baked potatoes with broccoli, sweet potatoes, as well as salads. There are healthier food options at fast food restaurants, but you need to make that commitment to yourself that you are going to make the choice to eat healthier when faced with an array of options.
- Some gas stations carry the pre-made, bottled 100% juice smoothies. These are great alternatives and super filling.
- Decide ahead of time, before you walk into the gas station store and before you walk into the fast food restaurant that you are going to make the healthiest choice and then choose the best option available.
Remember to prepare for your summer travels and include healthy snacking for your trip as well as choose the healthiest option available. Happy traveling!