Do you remember being a kid and being so excited for school to be out and summer vacation to start? The celebration of the last day of school and the pure joy of the first day of summer vacation are memorable times in a child’s life. As adults, we start to lose that excitement because of our responsibilities and the pressures we put upon ourselves.
Celebrate summer no matter what your age is with these “7 summer lovin” ideas to get you started on a summer you will enjoy!
1. Choices. Make the decision to choose things you really want to do this summer. We are all busy and have a lot to get done between work and family. However, many times the blame game gets played with excuses as to why you never get to do things you want to do. Stop blaming and start doing. You are the only one that can choose to change it up and do a few more things you want to do this summer.
Create a summer bucket list of things you want to do this summer. Have fun with it and let yourself play. Choose things off your list and go do it. No one else can do this for you; it is up to you to make the choice and do some things you really want to do. If you do, your body, mind and soul will thank you because you will fill yourself up with joy.
2. Relax. Our busy lives can add more stress than we prefer to have. Give yourself permission to relax a little more this summer. Relaxing does not necessarily mean you need to travel hundreds of miles away to an exotic island, you can relax wherever you are. However, you first need to determine what relaxing means to you.
Answer the question, “If I were to relax, what would that look and feel like . . . what I would be doing to relax?” Does it mean lying out by the pool, reading a book, having a cookout or star gazing in the warm summer nights? Brainstorm what you could do to relax and then make it a priority this summer.
3. Moments. Savor the moments. Take time and enjoy the little things like sitting outside at night and watching the fire flies or the lightening bugs; enjoy the joy of going down a water slide; or sit back and watch your children play on the swings. Don’t let the summer moments pass you by and instead let the moments bring a smile to your heart.
4. Connection. Spend time with friends and family you enjoy being around. Plan a picnic or cookout and enjoy the company of others. Take time to connect, listen and be with others this summer and savor the moments of being with those you love and care about.
5. Be Active. Take more walks outside. Try a night time walk with the starlit sky; go swimming, swing on a swing set, or ride a bike. Get your body moving and stay active.
6. Hydrate. The hot summer days can cause havoc on our bodies. Make sure you are adding in more water this summer so your body stays hydrated. Get a water bottle you like . . . it will make a difference in how much you will drink. Try coconut water or add fruit and herbs and infuse your own water with flavor. Drink up and stay hydrated.
7. Flow. Go with the flow. Let your schedules have a little wiggle room for unexpected opportunities to savor the moment, relax or connect with a friend. Let your summer flow and try not to be so rigid with your schedule. You never know how the summer can turn out when you just allow it to flow and let go of control.
Have fun and make this summer a summer lovin’ summer for YOU!